Dec 19, 2008

Wiwille's movie reviews part 69

In case you haven't noticed I'm a huge fan of politically incorrect humor. Films such as Blazing Saddles never fail to amuse me. I'm not sure why comedy that plays upon stereotypes tickle my funny bone so much. Maybe it's because I think American perception of the cultures of others are so ridiculous I can't help but laugh.

'Hebrew Hammer' is about a Jewish private detective, Mordechai Jefferson Carver, who embraces everything about his culture and is a walking billboard of every stereotype. After Santa, who strongly embraces other holidays during the season, become the victim of patricide the jolly man's son takes over the duties of Saint Nick and vows to put an end to Hanukkah. Fearing that the eight day festival will be put to an end the Jewish Justice League hires Carver to stop the new anti-Semitic Santa.

I kind of wish I knew more about the culture of the chosen people, cause I imagine this film would be a lot funnier if that was the case. While the humor is hit and miss the movie is at it's best when it plays upon the already mentioned, possibly offensive stereotypes. When it's not the jokes fall horribly flat. Still this movie does have it's moments and for those who are fans of crass humor I would recommend it.

Thanks to Stan for submitting this. Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"What's great about this film is that it mocks everyone and warps the common definitions of everything within it, from the plot itself to the fictional organizations of the JJL and KLF, and even to potentially harmful stereotypes, and it converts them (so to speak) into something lighthearted and hardly offensive." - Jono Baron

2 comments:

JLee said...

I think I'll skip this one. How about you review "Chained Heat" with Linda Blair?

Wiwille said...

JLee - Unfortunatley that one's not available for rental. I'll try and catch it on On Demand if it's there.