Jul 3, 2009

Wiwille's movie reviews part 71

Fellow blogger and colleague Mizzle handed me a copy of a film directed by a friend of his. He asked me to review it, but with the disclaimer that I probably won't like it.

He was right.

The Falling tells the story of Grayson, a cop in Seattle whose life has been turned sideways by the spiraling addiction of his partner and a strained relationship with his sister. Events suddenly turn sideways when Lucifer decides to make his presence known on Earth to do battle with the armies of Heaven. Grayson finds himself in the midst of this supernatural war while both sides fight for his allegiance.

While the end of days premise has always been interesting to me this film does a poor job of telling a simple tale of good vs evil. It's low budget was obviously not spent on writing as the script is horribly weak. For the most part the cast do what they can with dialogue given them, but it comes off as incredibly amateurish even for an indie film of this nature. There are some very creative shots and the editing is somewhat clever, but overall the look of this movie can be laughably bad.

All that being said I can see some talent from this director and I imagine with a bit of polishing this could be a really good film. The movies does have a few moments, however few there may be, that really show off some skill. I'd like to see the director do another project with a bigger budget and better writing.

As someone who's made a far worse film I really wanted to like this movie, but sadly I can't recommend it.

Thanks to Mizzle for submitting this. Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"The kind of weird religious pic that might appeal to those on angel dust." - Dennis Schwartz

4 comments:

wigsf said...

Sounds a bit like that movie, I think it's called The Prophecy. Something to do with angels fighting for the soul of this one guy. I think Walken was in it.

JLee said...

I hate when you WANT to like a movie, but it just doesn't deliver.

Miss Ash said...

Dude you lost me at supernatural war *yawn*

I just wasted a few hours watching From Dusk Till Dawn...the ending was appalling....the last hour was appalling.

Mizzle said...

Yeah, a $60,000 budget only goes so far. Thanks for taking a peek at it, I will get you a signed copy :)