Dec 23, 2011

Empathy

Now that I'm a parent, sleep is something that is foreign to me. It's not that bad really as I got enough practice at giving up slumber when the wife was pregnant. Still sleep is something I kind of miss, as I get very little.

Whenever I express my newborn duties, the childless of my friends express their sympathy; however those with children seem to laugh at my exhaustion. It's sort of like how people watch a guy get kicked in the nuts, and laughter ensues. Pain is comedy for most, for whatever reason.

My parents, naturally, seem to enjoy the misery that is my lack of REM sleep. I guess becoming a parent means you have to take pleasure in the pain of others.

It's all worth it though.

"Babies control and bring up their families as much as they are controlled by them; in fact the family brings up baby by being brought up by him." - Erik H. Erikson

4 comments:

mungsprout said...

I was waiting for this post to come lol. I have posted alot of Facebook posts over the years about teething and no sleep and being covered in baby poop and horrible tantrums in public (some of them were mine) and those were all nights that my childless friends were sleeping soundly and not caring much at all about my sanity other then leaving smart ass comments. Your friends love you. Its not so much that we laugh at your pain, its our sick and twisted way of saying awww someone new that understands! You guys are doing a great job and the sleep deprivation will pass

Claire said...

Oh bless you! I hope your bundle of joy gives you the best Christmas present - a decent nights kip! Unlikely till she's a little older, I know, but it is the season of miracles!

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely girls.

Cxx

Mattbear said...

I'm laughing at you because you did this to yourself, on purpose.

Anonymous said...

So I visited a family member who's child is about 6 months old now. She was relating a story from earlier in the week that involved getting up at 2am to feed said baby and was rewarded with a head to toe coating of projectile vomiting which left the infant happy and her standing in horror holding the baby at arm's length, screaming for her mother to come help her. Yes, it was very funny, in the same way that all those stories about being drunk or high on acid are funny after the fact as told by the person who was drunk. It's always funnier after the fact. But there is a difference between the laughter of those who have been through it, and those who haven't. We who have been there and done that are relating through laughter. You're just too tired to take it in that vein. Buck up, you'll make it.