Jul 6, 2008

Wiwille's movie revies part 53

Horror is quite often the genre that baffles me though. While most of it is absolute crap, there are a few films that surprise me. I'm not sure why most have to be so low quality; however I can speculate, but that's for another post.

Sarebeth recommended Cannibal for review and I was hesitant. Looking at the box art it seemed like nothing but a low budget gore fest, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Anything for my readers after all.

Cannibal, aka La Peau Blanche, is a Canadian film taking place in Montreal. The story is actually about the love struck Thierry, who fall instantly for Claire for reasons he can't understand. After they start seeing each other despite her protests Thierry starts acting strange and his roommate begins to question the nature of their relationship. After further investigation Thierry finds out a haunting secret about his lover and her family.

This is not high brow cinema by any means, but the love story had me engaged. Plus the racial tensions displayed in this film was interesting considering it hails from the country north. This feels less like horror and more like an art house mystery probably due to the lack of gore, surprise ending, and it's seemingly low budget. Still the acting is hardly that good and the dubbed copy I got was painful so if you see this, which I recommend you do, definitely get it in subtitles.

Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"Far from a horror film, in the guts and grue sense of the word, Cannibal is the best example of a type of horror that passed on with Alfred Hitchcock and Jacques Tourneur - a film that works your brain as much as it works your nerves" - Bloody-disgusting.com

6 comments:

SareBeth said...

Erik, hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't the same movie I was talking about..

SareBeth said...

The one I was talking about was the, search for Michael Rockefeller, in New Guinea. It's 4 young people that go on a man hunt for him.

Anonymous said...

French Canadian horror. I'm scared just thinking about it.

JLee said...

This actually sounds interesting to me. Sometimes those low budget ones can be little gems.

Grace said...

I might have to go out and rent this one. I love horror flicks.

Big Ben said...

I was thinking the same thing as WIGSF! I tend to skip Canadian films and based on your review, I will continue. I do recommend kenny vs Spenny.