Jun 21, 2007

Wiwille's movie reviews part 3.

John Cusak is almost the perfect everyman actor. While there's nothing striking about his features other than his puppy dog manner, he can pull off the simplest of roles with ease and even play legendary figures such as Rockefeller and still remain convincing. While my favorite movie starring him is doomed to relative obscurity (Max) his better known pictures are still entertaining for the most part. Unfortunately some of the best movies he's been in gives him little screen time such as 'Cradle Will Rock' and 'Bob Roberts'.

While he's not above doing complete horseshit (America's Sweethearts, Must Love Dogs, Serendipity) a lot of his romantic comedies can be declared as some of the best in the genre. Granted this is a really low bar considering the whole premise behind most films of this nature almost require it to be unoriginal and sorely lacking in chemistry and laughs. Few times will movie goers see a romantic comedy that has actually something to say (Something New) and fewer will genuinely chuckle out loud or be actually touched by the story.

While it's difficult to really put Grosse Point Blank in the rom-com label I've always viewed it as such. Cusak plays Blank, a professional hitman who returns to his hometown for his 10 year high school reunion and coincidentally to complete a job. Upon his arrival he finds his high school sweetheart Debi (Minnie Driver, who's hot) and tries to make amends for standing her up on prom night to join the Army.

Throwing a monkey wrench into his suedo-vacation is two fellow colleagues, one who wants him to join a union and another hired to kill him. He's constantly being trailed by federal agents who are trying to catch him in the act. While reuniting with his old school chums Blank is honest about his line of work; however no one seems to take him seriously.

'Grosse Point Blank' is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I love dark humor and this has it in spades. While not as twisted as say 'Heathers' the film delivers with it's solid cast and impeccable timing. I highly recommend it.

Want to see your favorite film reviewed here? Send me an email or drop a comment.

"With a breezy unpredictability that belies a darker underside, Grosse Pointe Blank, directed by George Armitage, is the kind of quirky, character-driven comedy they don't make much anymore." - Susan Wloszczyna

5 comments:

Miss Ash said...

You mentioned John Cusak and did not mention Say Anything for shame!!!

I haven't seen this film, but enjoy dark humor, i'll have to give it a go one day.

Mattbear said...

Grosse Point Blank is probably my favorite movie of Cusack's. Incredible writing backed up by great acting (particularly when Alan Arkin is on) and good direction.

You can never go home again...but I guess you can shop there.

Anonymous said...

"Hi, I'm Martin Blank, you remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough."

Great movie, I'm glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was a good movie. Nothing spectacular though. Could have used a guy in a godzilla costume rampaging across a model-sized housing subdivision though.

Aly said...

I think he's hot stuff... maybe better than Hugh