Jan 19, 2007

Another gym incident.

I end my workout today without incident and enter the locker rooms. As luck would have it my locker was right next to a man who seemed to be in his late sixties changing. While this is not unusual in and of itself the man was singing.

Yes he was breaking out into song. Don't know what song it was as it was about as coherent as your average homeless person pontificating about third world debt relief. Still he was carrying on his tune as I was dressing down for the shower.

Sure enough the man took the shower next to me and continued his verse. It doesn't end there.

I go back to my locker to get dressed and the guy followed me continuing his serenade. I put on my clothes when the unthinkable happened. He touched me on the shoulder.

Old guy: I..I..I have such a...wonderful voice I decide....to share....with everyyyyyone.

Me: Well..you certainly are generous.

Old guy: Yeah I am.

That was the end of the conversation. I put on my clothes so quick you would think I was just caught in the middle of fornicating. Today I make a decree that I'm firmly against naked singing old men.

"I don't sing well in the shower!" - Christopher Atkins

6 comments:

Big Ben said...

There should be no touching in the change area.

"you certainly are generous" - classic.

Claire said...

Naked singing old men?

Wow, I know what will be in my nightmares tonight!

Mattbear said...

I'm a pretty accepting guy, but damn...boundaries, man, boundaries.

I hope I'm not crazy and disturbing when I get old.

[set up for someone to make "you already are" crack here]

rawbean said...

I'm thinking of calling Nic....is he cute?

That was a great story.

Anonymous said...

The beauty of growing old is being able to do anything you want. There is no shame for the old person. So much of what people do is restrained by modesty. Old people haven't that much time left, so they figure "what the hell, I'm gonna sing in the change room."
If I was there, I'd be singing along with him.

Anonymous said...

Erik-
Hey bro, I know you. If you knew the lyrics you would have been secretly singing it in your head too.