Mar 6, 2008

Wiwille's movie reviews part 37

Since I started doing this movie review thing I'm amazed at how many foreign films have been submitted. Not that this is a bad thing, but most people I know aren't into overseas films, cause they either a) hate reading subtitles, b) are perplexed by the often times different techniques and plots, or c) they're huge fans of Michael Bay.

Amelie is a movie I've heard of many times as you can find it in the DVD collection of most females. I've seen the cover many times, but never actually took the time to sit and view it.

Laced with amazing visuals Amelie tells the story of a cute meek girl who's normally prone to somewhat eccentric behavior, but filled with a good heart if not a great brain. After a moment of clarity while thinking about her own mortality Amelie decides to do have adventures with the people in her life. Her various deeds include matchmaking, standing up for the underdog, and helping her father realize his dream. All acts are deceptive, but brave and good natured and often times funny.

Soon Amelie takes such clever antics and applies them to her love life. Trying to meet her soul mate, who's an eccentric man who collects discarded photo booth pictures, she crafts devious ways for him to follow clues to find out who she is. The man is a strange one, but a romantic at heart and follows the map to find the mystery woman.

Sure the plot is simple and the devices may seem far fetched, but Amelie is a touching story of a young woman's search for happiness given her sheltered soul. The subplots are well done as every character no matter how minor is interesting if not highly amusing. This film is one of the few foreign films to really become a huge hit in North America. Entertaining and visually impressive I highly recommend this to anyone who may still believe that joy is still possible in a world of anger and bitterness.

Thanks to WIGSF for submitting this.

Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"Fairly irresistible if you can keep your cynicism in check for a couple of hours." - Lou Lumenick

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I asked you to review this movie because I wasn't sure if I should see it (putting the evil and frightening movie poster aside) and I was going to base my watching of this movie on whether or not you told me to.
At first it looked as though you were telling me to watch this movie, then you wrote I highly recommend this to anyone who may still believe that joy is still possible in a world of anger and bitterness.
Help me make up my mind!!!!

Wiwille said...

WIGSF - Just watch it. You'll enjoy the visuals. The main character looks like Rawbean too.

Miss Ash said...

I liked this movie, and saw the cute cafe it was filmed in whilst in Paris!!

Anonymous said...

I'll rent it this weekend. And I'll have it watched before Miss Ash gets around to watching Casablanca.

Miss Ash said...

That was unnecessary

Wiwille said...

WIGSF, Miss Ash - Don't make me seperate you two.

Grace said...

I've never seen this movie, but remember hearing about it when it came out in theatres. It's a few years old isn't it? They should be playing it on tv anyday now... I'll see it when they do.

We just started getting a new channel that plays lots of foreign films. A lot of them are actually really good. Maybe I'll recommend one of them for you to review someday.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll watch Casablanca this weekend as well. :P