Sep 19, 2007

Bad movies I love part 22.

After this post you may never trust my reviews again, but that's okay. Not everyone can have such refined tastes as yours truly.

Whenever I tell anyone that I'm a fan of Josie and the Pussycats a curious eyebrow will be raised followed by a statement of 'interesting', 'what the fuck', or something of that nature. I'll freely admit I love this film for many reasons mostly because it flat out makes fun of it's target audience of early teens and their addiction to corporate endorsed culture. While some may find this too easy of a target I say bravo to any film that preaches to children the absurdities of GAP shopping and how TRL can rot the mind.

The script is funny and the film's highest point is Rachel Leigh Cook, who looks a lot like an old girlfriend. Yeah she's not the best thespian in the business, but she's worth the price of a rental. Tara Reid was also in it and this is when she was hot. God it seems like so long ago that I actually desired her. What happened to you Tara?

Sorry got carried away there.

While a lot of teen films preach the word of individuality none of them focus on so much on how quickly they'll jump on consumer culture. In fairness to the youngins you adults are worse. Disagree? Remember it is you who've made Perez Hilton's blog a massive success. This is why I hate you.

"While the script's basic outline is lame, it delivers some funny dialogue and pithy music industry observations" - Laura Clifford


5 comments:

TracieLacy said...

Interesting...

Miss Ash said...

Umm yeah, i've never even seen this film. Is Fried Green Tomatoes on your fav movie list as well? haha

Big Ben said...

Rachel is too cute. That song bites.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or is that blonde chick hotter with those fake cat ears?

Mattbear said...

I'm with you on this one, man. This movie was far better than it had any right to be. Actually, one of my favorite moments is when the "subliminal message" scrolls by that "Can't Hardly Wait was underrated" - Can't Hardly Wait (by the same directors) was another teen movie that was far better than it had any right to be.