Nov 9, 2006

Overrated films part 18.

It's been a while since I've written about film, but after this I'm sure you'll never trust my judgement on movies again. I really have a hard time convincing people I'm right about everything. Sigh...maybe one day.

Like almost all overrated films I rant about Scarface is not a bad film, but it's not great either. The intriguing aspect of this movie is that you will hail it as one of the best films ever, but you know deep in your heart it's just a B movie with cool dialogue. Pacino's performance is way over the top as is the film's style, including it's ridiculous montage sequence, but you know what? It works. The simple story of the rise and fall of a drug kinpin sucks you in partially because of it's camp.

Time has been good to this film as now it's been embraced as a ganster classic. Even the hip-hop community has shown warmth to this DePalma film which found it's way into entertaining a new generation.

The over the top performances, gawdy settings, horrific music, and shoddy photography really make watching this film an experience you won't likely forget. You know it's bad, but it's so damn cool you can't take your eyes off it.

"To be honest, Scarface isn't exactly what you could call a 'good' movie. It's overwritten, overacted and overdirected (not to mention overlong). And yet, against the odds, it still works." - Ethan Alter

2 comments:

Scott said...

But can anyone say "Cock-a-roach" better than Tony Montana??

Scott

Mattbear said...

I have to confess I've never seen this movie. All I know of it is the "little friend" line.

Holy crap that montage scene is cheesy. What the hell is that music? Kenny Loggins? And what the fuck did they do to Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's hair? She looks like the Bride of Frizzenstein!