Apr 3, 2008

Wiwille's movie reviews part 41

I can't believe it's been over 40 reviews since I started this movie submission idea. It's been a blast so far as I've seen many great films, even though some of them have been less than stellar (I'm looking at you Greg).

Requiem for a Dream is one of the most fascinating and horrifying films I've ever seen. The film centers around the lives of four individuals caught up in a world of their addictions. Harry, his girlfriend, and his best friend are hooked on heroin and hold little regard for who they hurt to get their fix. After stealing his mother's television, which she ends up buying back from the pawn shop, Harry tries to score a deal with a large shipment of smack heading into town. The delivery goes awry and the three of them take desperate measures to score a fix. Harry has his girlfriend sleep with a dealer for a small bag for example.

His mother goes to the doctor to try and find a solution to her weight problem only to be prescribed an appetite suppressive which is basically speed. Naive to drugs she pops them on a routine basis and can't come to grips with her withdrawals. Struggling with what's happening to her the doctor keeps upping her dosage and sending her further down a spiral of pain.

I won't give away the ending, but I can tell you this is quite possibly the most depressing film I've ever seen. It's a visual masterpiece that really sucks you in to the world of addicts mind. I was impressed by the acting and the pacing is done really well considering the story is nothing more than a look in life of people who commit themselves to the world of drugs. I firmly believe that they should show this film in high school substance abuses classes rather than those stupid funky films of people hacking up their spouses after smoking a joint.

I highly recommend this film, though I doubt anyone will have the courage to see it more than once.

Thanks to WIGSF for submitting this. Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"Conveys, visually, sonically and dramatically, the siren call of addiction like no other movie has." - Terry Lawson

9 comments:

Mattbear said...

Jen and I watched this on DVD, once. When it ended, we just sat there for a minute, stunned, watching the credits roll. I eventually looked at her and said, "That was a great movie. Let's never watch it again."

And I haven't.

Miss Ash said...

I love that movie!! How everyone thinks the mother is just some crazy old lady etc ... it's sad, but great!! I'm surprised you had never seen it before. I figured it was one of those must sees like 16 Candles.

Wiwille said...

Mattbear - I had the same reaction. Although someone bought me a copy I've never seen it again.

Miss Ash - I've seen it years ago actually, but I honestly have never seen 16 Candles.

Big Ben said...

One of the most depressing movies of all time, hmmm, I might skip it. I just drive through Regent Park and see these types of freaks.

Anonymous said...

This is actually one of my favorite movies. I own it and I have seen it more than once. I think this should be required viewing to scare the shit out of teenagers/adults who have addiction tendencies.

Grace said...

Ohhh, sounds good! I will be renting this one for sure.

Miss Ash said...

Ok then you must add 16 Candles to your reviews!!

JLee said...

I freakin' love this movie! You're right though...very depressing/frightening, especially the last scene w/Jennifer Connelly.

rawbean said...

I just remember that one scene....I think you know what I'm talking about - haunting!