Sep 2, 2007

Wiwille's movie reviews part 15

I worked late night last night and as a consequence my sleep schedule is all awry so I figured why not bang out a movie review.

Fellow blog readers I bring you WIGSF's submission, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. This first musical I've been asked to review and is unlike any other I've seen. The story is about Hedwig, a German transsexual singer who after a botched sex change immigrates to America before the fall of the Berlin Wall and enters into show business.

Was that as surreal to read as it was to type?

The movie progresses as we follow Hedwig and his (hers?) band struggling to find a decent gig. Mostly playing in resteraunts and various obscure venues the film jumps from the present to Hedwig's self narrated tale of life in East Germany. Complimented by the music are animations that illustrate her sexual identity crisis, emotional instability, and betrayal. When the film is not focused on her bizarre and sometimes tragic past her current conflict is with a former lover and band member who rips off her songs and becomes a superstar as a result. Obsessed with his success Hedwig follows his tour attempting to make contact with him. Tired of the stalking her current lover and band member adds to the drama by threatening to leave.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is shot brilliantly and runs the gamut of being a dark comedy to poignant character study of one person struggling with identity. It's influences are obvious as the film borrows a little from Spinal Tap and various others, but still it's one of the most original stories I've seen in years. That being said I'm hesitant to recommend this as I found the music, while funny, painful at times and the subject matter will turn people off. That being said if you're looking for something new in film you'll find this very satisfying.

Wanna see a film reviewed by Wiwille? Drop me an email or comment and you'll see it soon on Erik's Ramblings. Rules are posted here.

"For all its serious subtext, the movingly affirmative Hedwig is raucous, racy and full of hilarious, lowdown survivor's wit." - Kevin Thomas

2 comments:

Big Ben said...

I think I might skip that one. I'm not a huge fan of transexuals.

Anonymous said...

You didn't like the music. That's a shame. It was the music that won me over when I saw the movie.

To each his (or her) own, I guess.