Sep 7, 2012

Why I won't vote Republican this year

It may not surprise anyone that I don't think I know anyone in Texas who will vote for Obama. While this claim may cause my Seattle friends to go into a stroke, I'm pretty sure I'm alone in how I cast my ballot. I don't really care how someone votes, even if it's contrary to my own, as I try to respect how personal politics are, similar to religion. If all my Texas brethren feels the President is not qualified to run the country for another four years, that's fine. They may be wrong, but I won't sweat it.

As I've stated numerous times before, if the Republican party reflected the values of one of my favorite presidents, Theodore Roosevelt, I would proudly proclaim myself a member of the GOP. Sadly they don't reflect his, nor my idea of how the government should be run.

The GOP claims they enjoy liberty, unless you're gay or choose an abortion or want to enjoy recreational drugs. That's not to say the Democrats don't have their issues they're self righteous about, such as gun control and driving a gas guzzling muscle car at 120 MPH, but I've always subscribed to the idea that those who sacrifice liberty for safety, or at least the illusion of it, deserve neither.

From the Republican Party's 2012 platform: "That is why Congressional Republicans took the lead in enacting the Defense of Marriage Act, affirming the right of States and the federal government not to recognize same-sex relationships licensed in other jurisdictions." It doesn't take a law scholar to recognize how ridiculous this is, nor is it hardly the work of a smaller government ideal. Liberty to marry should be the right of all adult consenting parties, not just those you think are not icky.

"We oppose the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact or any other scheme to abolish or distort the procedures of the Electoral College. We recognize that an unconstitutional effort to impose “national popular vote” would be a mortal threat to our federal system and a guarantee of corruption as every ballot box in every state would become a chance to steal the presidency." Does any of them remember the election of 2000? Is voter corruption really as widespread as they claim? The answer to both questions is no.

"The symbol of our constitutional unity, to which we all pledge allegiance, is the flag of the United States of America. By whatever legislative method is most feasible, Old Glory should be given legal protection against desecration. We condemn decisions by activist judges to deny children the opportunity to say the Pledge of Allegiance in its entirety, including “Under God,” in public schools and encourage States to promote the pledge. We condemn the actions of those who deny our children the means by which to show respect for our great country and the constitutional principles represented by our flag." While I respect the flag and what it stands for, giving it special status under the law is in direct defiance of liberty, and no judicial act that I'm aware of has ever denied anyone from saying the pledge, it only gave them the right not to say it, which again is an individual's right. If I bought a flag it's my to burn, even if I use it to light my barbecue, I should not be held as a criminal for an ideal I want to express, especially if it's not considered obscene by the Supreme Court.

These are but a few reasons why I think the Republicans don't honor liberty like they claim. The fact that they hold onto broken policies of the Bush administration such as deregulation of markets, extending tax cuts, and spending more than they bring in, is flat out ridiculous and solidifies my vote for the Democrats. We all know how well those ideas turned out, and our country has suffered great consequences because of it. Why they think they're going to win this year based on that is truly baffling.

Now I understand people who want to vote Republican as they generally want the same thing we all do; freedom, prosperity, and low crime, nor would I look down upon someone who does cast their ballot for Romney. But I look upon the economies of GOP Presidents for the last 100 years or so and it seems this country has done far better under Democratic rule. Why that is I can't say, but if you let history be your guide the choice for me is obvious.

I can't say I've been entirely happy about the Obama administration, nor am I excited about the possibility of another four years with him at the helm, but I do think he's far more qualified than his opponent. He's taken down more terrorists, given tax relief to manufactures who will keep jobs in the states, and given Americans an opportunity for better health care, among the many things he's accomplished. Here is a scorecard for Obama's promises kept or broken, as opposed to the GOPs in the last four years.

By all means read through the Democratic party platform, or you could even go so far as the Libertarian as well, or any other third party for that matter. Make an informed choice when you go to the polls, and trust in your conscience and intellect. We have the power to enact change in this country, and sitting idly by and not doing anything is one of the most anti-American acts one could do.

"Today, our economy is growing again, al-Qaeda is weaker than at any point since 9/11, and our manufacturing sector is growing for the first time in more than a decade. But there is more we need to do, and so we come together again to continue what we started. We gather to reclaim the basic bargain that built the largest middle class and the most prosperous nation on Earth—the simple principle that in America, hard work should pay off, responsibility should be rewarded, and each one of us should be able to go as far as our talent and drive take us." - Democratic Platform



1 comment:

Miss Ash said...

I don't judge if others vote the opposite of myself either, I'm just glad they're getting off their duffs and being a part of the process!

I will say though I was absolutely flabbergasted by that congressman Todd Akins remarks about women and rape! WTF! I'd probably judge someone if they voted for him!