Jan 20, 2012

Tales of parenting.

When people told me I would experience sleep deprivation after Kenadie was born, I never really comprehended how hard it would be. I don't think anything prepares soon to be parents how little rest they would get, unless they previously served in combat. Now some without kids may think it's no big deal, just drink your coffee and man up, but really lack of REM sleep makes you do some really incredibly dumb things. Let's take a couple of examples.

1: The other day Kenadie decided sleep wasn't for her, and the next day I went into work feeling like I boxed 24 rounds. I had to use the restroom, so I entered the bathroom as one is want to do. I was face to face with a lady who had a look on her face that was half confused and half frightened. I apologized for my mistake and walked out.

2: Today I sat at my cube and attempted to unlock my laptop. I pressed the buttons on the external keyboard, but nothing was happening. Nothing. After a few minutes of pressing more buttons in vain I realized I hadn't put my laptop in it's docking station.

3: When my wife wakes me to get something in the middle of the night, I go into the kitchen and immediately forget what it was she wanted. Sometimes I try to make it look like I knew what I was doing, but will come back with something completely unrelated to what she had asked for, to her great frustration. A friend of mine was sent into his infant's room to pick up a diaper, only to come back with a pillowcase. He's not sure why either.

Sometimes I miss the energy I had when I was 22.

"Babies control and bring up their families as much as they are controlled by them; in fact the family brings up baby by being brought up by him." - Erik H. Erikson

1 comment:

Miss Ash said...

The lack of sleep would be dreadful to me! As long as you don't forget your child in the car or anything crazy you'll be fine!