Sep 19, 2006

Fan

The last few days have sucked. Sucked hard.

I look around at all the vultures who make money off our celebrity voyerism and I see our deep rooted commitment to ridiculous amounts of cash and attention to things that don't matter. What's worse is I'm no different really.

I remember having a conversation with a group of friends about the difference between sports fanatics and Trekkies. At the end of debating the subject everyone came to the same conclusion, there is no difference. Some dress in ridiculous outfits, all are under the impression that their vision has a real bearing on the direction of their idol, and most can attest to neglecting some part of their lives to devote more time and energy then necessary to a ball game/television show.

The reality of the perceived gap between lovers of all Roddenberry and people who truly believe that yelling will impact the way a professional plays a game is that the former are geeks and the latter are jocks. Why this is I don't know, nor do I really care honestly.

All are guilty though of neglecting time away from loved ones to worship at the altar of their fandom and I learned this weekend that time and money can be better directed towards the people that love you. Whether I actually put it into practice remains to be seen.

There are some that use their favorite entertainment to connect with people and to them I salute you.

Maybe I'm just rambling because I still can't get over the loss of Kevin and how I never told him how much he meant to me. If only I had spent more time with him.

I want my friend back.

"I've often reflected on this in the past weeks as I've been following the presidential campaign: Very often, I thought it would have been great for both of these guys to sit down and be force-fed a couple of dozen episodes of Star Trek." - Patrick Stewart

No comments: