Aug 30, 2012

They may not have your best interests in mind

Last night I was at my brother in-law's waiting for our Fantasy Football draft to start, when my phone rang. It was my mom and it sounded as if she needed something urgent. She explained how someone man with a strong accent of unknown origin called and claimed he was from Microsoft. He stated that her computer somehow "called them" and warned them of a virus. Of course my mom had nothing to fear as he was available to assist her to remove said virus.

My mother told the gentleman who I worked for and said she would be calling me before she agreed to something of that nature. I of course told her what she already knew, and thankfully she didn't fall for the scam.

So pro-tip from Wiwille, if someone calls you claiming your computer has a virus, or any abnormality, and they'll offer their services to fix it, for the love of all that is holy and good hang up. Well it couldn't hurt to accuse them of having carnal knowledge with swine, but do not give them any information what so ever. In fact, if someone does call you you may want to take a look at your financial balances just to be safe, because these assholes are sneaky that way.

"The work of Nigeria is not complete for as long as there is any one Nigerian who goes to bed on empty stomach." - Ibrahim Babangida

Avoid tech support phone scams

No comments: