Jul 10, 2008

Thursday Music

I was never a big Jane's Addiction fan at least not in the sense that everyone seemed to be frothing at the mouth at the sound of their lyrics like a fat kid on Halloween. Still I never hated them, but I found the band to as divisive as Dave Matthews. Most people either worship them as Gods of modern music or hate them with the same contempt film buffs save for Patch Adams.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to being mildly entertained by their music. That being said it may come as no surprise to anyone that I fall into the legions of folk who love 'Jane Says'. I remember years back I made a mix CD for a girl I was dating, a girl who admittedly had little interest in music. She asked me to include a lot of my favorite songs, which ranged from Ministry to Beethoven. It was a unique CD as the genres varied, but I remember she loved 'Jane Says' and it was one of the few songs she would sing along to in front of me.

While a lot of people may consider this song overrated, and they may be right, it will always put a smile on my face as I hear the steel drums play. That's really the point after all.

"Sometimes to realize you were well, someone must come along and hurt you." - Perry Farrell

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane's Addiction is another one of those bands that I will never quite understand the appeal. I don't hate them. Jane's Addiction hasn't earned my scorn like some other bands I won't waste time naming. Jane's Addiction aren't unappealling. I just don't understand why I should listen to them a second time. Their music is just there. It doesn't do anything for me. I don't want to call it bland, because the Jane's Addiction songs I've heard are anything but, but the experience I receive from hearing Jane's Addiction is the same experience I would get from listening to something that is bland. So, for me anyways, it might as well be bland.
As for the Dave Matthews Band, I've got a theory to explain their popularity. I base my theory on my own experiences from having worked in a couple of record stores. DMB has cultivated a following amongst a group of people with the wealth and the spare time to worship a band. I think the band marketed itself towards this certain sector of the population. This sector has been to known to be very devoted to certain musical acts in previous generations. In those previous generations, this sector flocked to see performances by Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand.

JLee said...

They're just so unusual, but I always liked "Jane Says". It has such a groove to it. "Been Caught Stealing" is pretty good too, but other than that...I got nothin.

Miss Ash said...

I like that song...

I hate Dave Matthews bleh!