Sep 12, 2010

I no longer have a fiance.

As I stood there waiting patiently with my back turned to the venue I wiped some sweat from my brow. I wasn't nervous, but the perspiration was largely due to the intense tropical humidity. As the guests sat comfortably in their chairs I stood and contemplated the new life I was about to enter.

We touched down in Nassau to weather that was less than stellar. After we checked in to the resort we walked around and gave ourselves a tour. We saw a couple who was just newly wedded having their pictures taken. The wind was intense and being on the beach felt like being sand blasted. The couple worked as well as they could with the photographer, but hair and clothing were flapping in the breeze and they just looked miserable. Kelly congratulated the couple, but they said being out there was equivalent to walking through a monsoon.

This did not ease Kelly's fear of terrible weather during our nuptials. Hurricane Earl and Fiona were well in effect. I eased her mind telling her I was sure it would be fine, but I lied. I too was afraid that we would experience rain and wind at our wedding.

Our happy day arrived and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. The sun was shining, the smell of the salt water air was refreshing, and a gentle breeze filled the atmosphere. The gazebo was decorated to the hilt and I and our wedding guests were awaiting the arrival of my bride. On queue I turned around and laid eyes on her in that wedding dress that hung in our closet for a few months. I was not allowed to see it, but it was sort of like locking a drug addict in a Walgreens and asking them to leave the prescriptions alone. Still I resisted all temptations and looked upon her for the first time as my bride. She looked more beautiful than I could possibly imagine.

"A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year." - Paul Sweeney

3 comments:

Leif Hurst said...

Sounds like the day went off without a hitch (well one hitchin' at least)!

She's look great man!!! You're a very lucky guy.

JLee said...

Sounds so romantic (despite the humidity) :)

Miss Ash said...

I'm glad the weather worked in your favour, the photo looks beautiful! Congrats again!