Sep 10, 2011

They did it.

As everyone is fully aware, the tenth anniversary of 9/11 is soon upon us. I used to repost my feelings about the wretched day every year, but this time I'm going to do something different. I had originally planned to stick with tradition, but alas there are other issues that are on my mind.

The media is now playing tributes and documentaries about 9/11 almost 24x7. It feels strange to me that networks who care about nothing but ad revenue are seemingly exploiting the affair and reopening wounds that may seem old to some. I myself have yet to forget the anxiety and sadness I felt on that tragic day and I don't need some executives, who bath in the tears of pandas while dining on the flesh of doves, get richer because of this.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and those who broadcast such tributes have the best of intentions, but sadly I feel otherwise. Every time I see an advertisement of an upcoming show dedicated to 9/11 I cringe. I realize we shouldn't forget the horror that the world felt that day and we must be vigilant in our fight against terrorism, but does it need to be in such a seemingly exploitative manner?

When I think harder about it I realize history is a consumer product as any other and perhaps this is the best manner to teach the younger generation on how dangerous the world can be and how our body politic forever changed. There are many lessons to be learned from 9/11 and the equally horrific terror attacks before and since, and I guess this may be the appropriate, modern way to deliver that message.

My only wish is that the proceeds from these shows would go to the victims of 9/11.

"The blame for the 9/11 attacks lays squarely and exclusively with the Al-Qaeda network." - Kay Granger

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you! I think about this every Pearl Harbor Day, VJ Day, etc.

Miss Ash said...

I also agree that the money should go to the victims of 9/11.