Sep 20, 2011

Why I have no interest in this.

As a lot of you know I'm a Star Wars geek. Well I have other geek tendancies, but really my fandom of sci-fi started with the beloved original trilogy and has continued even with my disdain for the prequels and the 1997 changes. George Lucas did not rape my childhood. Those fond memories of the toys, cartoons, and my parents taking me to see them still exist no matter what the meglomaniac director does to them.

There's been much anticipation of the yet to be released Star Wars on Blu-Ray and I have to admit I got a little excited. To see the beloved originals in hi-def has been a dream of mine since the format became affordable to the general public, and I want to indulge in it.

There's over 40 hours of special features included on the packaging that includes all the films, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I started thinking about basic economics. I can buy all six films, but two of which I have no desire to ever watch again. Plus, hi-def does make CGI look a bit more unnatural than it was intended, which I imagine in the prequels is quite a jarring contrast.

They have decided not to put the amazing documentary "Empire of Dreams" on the Blu-Ray set. So if I want to keep a copy of that I shouldn't trade my old DVD discs in. Greedo still shoots like he's Stevie Wonder, Jabba is a pansy, and the musical number in ROTJ is horrific.

What finally made me decide against buything these you say? Well Darth Vader not only still screams the word 'no' at the end of ROTS, but Lucas decided to include said 'no' at the end of ROTJ, when he kills Emporer Palpatine.

Yes the prequels have some of the most ameuturish camera work for a big budget film I've ever seen. The scripts are awful, the acting even worse, and they largely are just plain dull. Still the end of ROTS put it over the edge for me, when the Dark Lord of the Sith bellowed the infamous "NOOOOOO" when he found out his love interest was killed at the result of his own hand (sorry to spoil it for anyone). The result was a corny mess that should've been a dramatic high point. It was the low point of the climax of the story when it should've been the pinnacle.

Why Lucas decided to include this much mocked line at the end of ROTJ is a mystery. The audience guessing what was going on in Vader's head was the real high point of his redemption. The action of picking up Palpatine and throwing him into the abyss was all that was needed to convey his journey back to the light side. Now fans are reminded of one of the worst moments in the prequels whenever they see that scene, which is unacceptable.

I would've bought the Blu-Rays had it not been for that one change. Sure the special features are worth a look, but likely they'll be on youtube and I'll have little reason to watch them again, so that negates any reason to pay $80+ for films I'll never watch. I may change my mind at some point, but that's not likely to happen soon.

"Although I write screenplays, I don't think I'm a very good writer." - George Lucas

Star Wars Blu-ray Changes: Noooooo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least Lego reissued a Millennium Falcon set with all of the significant characters.