Dec 29, 2006

The end of Erik's Ramblings?

I was reading an article in the BBC about how blogging is supposed to peak next year. Technology analyst Gartner predicts bloggers will grow tired of spouting of online claiming that most people who are into the whole concept have already done it. In support of their theory they state that already 200 million people have quit blogging already. Gartner had this to say about most of the authors behind the dead blogs:

"A lot of people have been in and out of this thing. Everyone thinks they have something to say, until they're put on stage and asked to say it."

They make a solid point actually. Considering how many of the 'amateur' blogs I see come and go in my year plus span of opining online I wonder if my time is coming. I've said mostly everything I want to say about various subjects and most of my posts are starting to seem redundant. The group blog I write for, Billy Ocean Student Council Treasurer, has already suffered a lack of content and it hasn't been up for a year yet. Will amateur blogs soon go by the wayside and of consequence will we only see 'professional' blogs that bring us nothing more than sound byte musings?

That being said I do hope that the folks on my blogroll will still continue to bring me entertainment for years to come.

My life is nothing like Tucker Max, nor is my existence plagued with strife; however, I do hope that I can find something to write about for years to come regardless if it has anything to do with politics, strange news stories, and boobs.

"I realized that there are a great number of things that I would have posted to my blog a year ago, but I won't now." - Joichi Ito

Blogging 'set to peak next year'

2 comments:

Mattbear said...

Well, I hope this blog doesn't end for a long time, because you amuse me and I don't get to see you often enough to hear all this stuff from you direct.

As for BOSCT, I was just saying to the founder the other day that it was pretty much down to me and you posting there. Without the variety of input, it just isn't the same, and I'm about to give up on it myself. Is it worth it for you and I to keep going with it when we have our own blogs as well?

rawbean said...

hmmm kind of makes me want to keep going just to spite the people who say it's gonna peak!