Apr 17, 2007

A sad day.

The tragedy in Virginia has saddened many in our nation, including myself. I will never understand what drives a human being to kill someone, especially so indiscriminately. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this horrific event.

As one would expect pundits are using this as an excuse to revisit the gun control debate. While this is an important issue sometimes I hate the timing of this as we have to use a tragedy of this proportion for people to revisit the second amendment. Gun control advocates, who may have great intentions, believe that banning the product will help curb senseless violence. I'm not sure why history hasn't taught people that prohibiting a device won't simply stop the demand. If passing laws on gun ownership were to be effective then I believe prohibition and the war on drugs would be a great success.

Still the issue boils down to what kind of country you would like to live in. Would you give up the freedom for security? I think most people would and honestly I can't fault them too much, but I believe the Patriot Act is a great example of how one's government can abuse our rights for the sake of keeping people's mind at ease.

Regardless I believe it's more important at this time to concentrate our thoughts and prayers not on a political issue, but to the victims of this meaningless slaying. It's sad to think that they'll never have the answers to the question we all have about the student's mindset. That question being 'why?'

“I would like to express on behalf of Britain and the British people our profound sadness at what has happened and to send the American people and most especially, of course, the families of the victims, our sympathy and our prayers.” - Tony Blair

1 comment:

rawbean said...

Yea it's pretty frustrating to see such senseless loss of life.

I wonder why there is more violence in the U.S. than in Canada. I mean yea we have our share of crap, but you guys always win the prize. What gives?