Jun 14, 2011

Community

Living in suburbia for even such a short time has been eye opening. Our community has their own forum website where home owners can and do post on a variety of topics ranging from business reviews, soliciting advice on home repairs, crime statistics, etc. Some are interesting and can often be useful, others are just posts about needless things to bitch about.

I often browse the forums to find topics that relate to me and find the chatter to be amusing. Sadly most of it is a bitch fest about activities of their neighbors. A few use the forums to whine about people parking in the street, garbage cans that aren't moved into the garage, and even claim that basketball hoops are an equal eyesore. While this doesn't seem surprising the amount of passion that stems from these often creative posts is stunning.

Now some have legit concerns, but mainly they think cars are just an eyesore. Yes, vehicles parked on the street are considered not only unpleasing to the eye, but some go so far as being a safety hazard to children as drivers can't see them dart from behind a car into the street. Never mind that parents shouldn't let their crotch fruit do these things, but I feel like I'm living amongst a bunch of 30 somethings going on 70.

Now I want a clean and prosperous place to live and that's why my wife and I chose this community, but I'm afraid I'm going to turn into even a grumpier version of my father if I stay in the suburbs. Soon I'll be yelling at skaters, god help me.

"Slums may well be breeding grounds of crime, but middle class suburbs are incubators of apathy and delirium." - Cyril Connolly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I sell propane and propane accessories."

JLee said...

Next thing we know, you'll be throwing rocks at children walking through your yard ;)