Jul 25, 2011

Stereotypes

In the wake of the tragedy in Norway strange thoughts entered my brain. When I first heard of the attack I felt the initial shock most experienced, but then I imagined a bugle being played at the Fox News headquarters. Right wingers the world over were wringing their hands with delight as the thought of a brown person wreaking havoc would be a perfect example to use when they denounce liberal immigration policies.

Then a sea of disappointment swept the Tea Partiers as it was revealed the terrorist was indeed a homegrown one and a fan of the same pundits they themselves blindly follow. They didn't have Islam to blame this tragedy and the....

...wait. Why has my opinion of the American right sunk so low? The image I conjured was an unfair characterization. There was no reason to think that way of people who genuinely want a better country for them and their families to live in.

Screw Glenn Beck. I blame him.

"I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words." - Glenn Beck

2 comments:

Mattbear said...

In my experience, that's exactly what they're like.

Claire said...

One of my friends was very uppity and assumed it was Al Qaeda (with no evidence). He's been remarkably quiet since the actual information has come to light.

Poor Norway. Such a huge loss.

Cxx