Nov 10, 2010

Advice

Last night I spent a good amount of time speaking with a friend concerning his horrific divorce. He wanted advice and an outsiders perspective on the fact his soon to be ex-wife wants nothing more than to see him miserable and broke. I listened for a good couple hours as he chronicled all the little things she does to try and get a reaction out of him, like calling him an asshole every time she sees him.

To give you a little background she left my friend for his best friend of over twenty years, but what started off as an amicable split has now turned ugly. She now wants as much money as she can get from his already broke ass and is involving their child in the matter. Every time my friend disciplines his kid the tyke reminds him that he's going to tell his mother about said incident. The kid asks his dad why mom hates him and calls him names and will recite conversations about my friend.

And there's more, so much more. She lies and has taken all of his things from the house including cabinets, appliances, counter tops, etc. Since she's moving in with his ex-best friend we figure they're doing a remodel with the materials he used to build her that home.

And it gets so much worse...

He went on and on about his woes, but he wanted advice and sadly I couldn't give him any. In my experience if I'm dealing with someone who I consider to be an evil shrew I just simply don't contact them anymore. He's not in such a luxurious position as he rattles his brain every night wondering what he's done to be the object of such scorn, but people change and in this case his wife did for the worse. All I could do was listen, wish him the best, offer him a place to stay in case he needs to get away for a weekend, and remind him to keep a cool head in all of this. I'm afraid my words were of little comfort.

"Ah, yes, divorce... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet." -Robin Williams

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There currently exists a flaw in our modern western society. When a marriage fails, the man is automatically assumed to be at fault for the failure and it's his responsibility to prove it's not entirely his fault. Everything the woman says against the man is taken as proof until the man can disprove the allegations. In the meantime, the man has to exhaust all avenues to simply earn a 50/50 split of all marital possessions, including the children who too often become pawns and manipulated to seek punishment on the adults.

Miss Ash said...

It irks me to no end when one part of a no longer couple use the
child(ren) as a pawn. It's disgusting!