Nov 18, 2010

Thursday Music

As I've stated before I'm not a huge fan of The Beatles. Granted I like their later work, but their early career does little for me. It's not offensive by no means, just not my thing. Still their talent is undeniable and they can't be faulted for singing silly pop songs when the band was young.

After the band's breakup the four of them went in different directions and still continued careers in the music business. Paul McCartney seems to have the most success, partially because he outlived two of his former band mates and some would argue he had the most talent.

Still I enjoyed Paul's writing, but interestingly enough he happened to perform one of my least favorite Christmas songs, if not songs period, ever. Just listen to it and the horrible synthetic sound and the lyrics which probably took ten minutes to write. I usually enjoy Christmas music, but when the holidays come around I want to break sound systems that are responsible for polluting the airwaves with this dreck.

Everyone has their low points in their aesthetic careers, but right now I can't think of anyone who climbed so high, but yet stooped so low:

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." - Paul McCartney

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who are these people that would argue Paul had the most talent? John and George had the most talent. It's not even close. Just because Paul was an egotistical megalomaniac who would delete and rerecord his bandmates' parts, doesn't mean he was doing right when he did it.
Everything after Band on the Run is proof that Paul's talent has completely dried up. Whatever talent he had is gone. If it was going to come back, it would have come back.
Paul has the most drive, the most ambition, the most lust for gold; that is all.

And Wonderful Christmastime is so awful, it nearly erases any goodwill and respect he earned whilst in The Beatles.