Jan 21, 2011

Da Bears

I was at the dentist yesterday when he decided to first engage me in a discussion as he switched the television channel to the network of fair and balanced reporting, the Fox News Channel.

Sigh.

He informed me that Obama will head to the Superbowl, which takes place here in Dal...err...Arlington. He complained how much traffic it would cause making the entire area full of gridlock. I shrugged thinking if the President wants to attend a football game he has that privilege, one I'd take advantage of if I were in that position. I imagine so would my doctor.

He then said he was listening to Rush Limbaugh this morning (oh dear) and the drug addled talk show host told a story of how he went to a Texas Rangers game and left early to beat traffic. He drove into DFW to fly to his home, but air travel was postponed for over four hours, because of some law that states no one can take off for two hours before or after Air Force One takes flight. Rush was then commenting about how selfish Obama is for this reason.

I wanted to comment about how I think the President's sports viewing habits are hardly news worthy for any reason, but I declined as he was about to stick metal tools into my mouth. He seemed like the sort of person who is highly opinionated and was willing to share his beliefs to anyone listening. He wanted a captive audience and my cowardice allotted for it.

As I relayed this story to my wife concerning the news habit of my dentist and how I thought it strange that he assumed I would enjoy Fox News she reminded me that I'm no longer in Seattle. She did go on to think this scenario sounded like something out of a bad Tom Clancy novel, where the President goes to the Super Bowl and terrorists try to attack us in our fair city. This could be an exciting game.

In reality Obama stated he's only interested in going if his hometown team, the Bears, make it past the NFC Championship.

"If the Bears win, I'm going no doubt," - President Obama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously dude. Watch what you say. You are in Texas now. Everything's bigger in Texas. That includes bullets and over-reactions.

Mattbear said...

One more reason I'll stay in my rainy, overpriced haven of liberalism, thank-you-very-much.

While Tom Clancy hasn't written a book about terrorists attacking the SuperBowl, Thomas Harris, author of the "Hannibal Lecter" novels, has. He published a book in 1975 called "Black Sunday" about a terrorist attack (by a "homegrown" American terrorist) on the SuperBowl. I've read it; it sucked.