Jan 9, 2006

In sickness and in health

I woke up this morning coughing up a storm. After the hacking was done I stood up and realized my ears were all clogged and my balance was that of Hunter S Thompson on an ether binge. After a perilous drive to work I sat at my cubicle and contemplated why I even went in tonight. I'm sitting here now drinking tea and as much orange juice as I can muster.

This weekend was rather fun. The Pretty Girl and I went shopping at the local yuppie mall. Most of you who know me are probably chuckling at the thought of this considering what a horrible consumer I am, but I actually had a good time. I stood patiently as she spent what seemed like an eternity looking at bedding, but she found a great deal on sheets and pillowcases. She spent over $300 dollars less then the normal price. Ahh sales.

I morphed from Erik the slob to Erik the dress up doll as I tried on new jeans. Since I've lost the weight I've been sporting jeans that were way to big for me and put off buying new ones. Clothes never really mattered to me as long as they were comfortable; however they were becoming a real eye sore for anyone who saw me in them. I went into the store and grabbed some pants off the rack and made my way to the fitting rooms. At the end of the fitting room hallway were a bunch of women standing there waiting to see their men come out in their new clothes. The girls faces were eager with anticipation in the hopes that their masculine counterparts were finally going a more metro look. Faces were beaming with pleasure as the guys walked out of the rooms all looking at the girls nervous to see what reaction may ensue. The guys all gave me that look that said "We feel your pain. It'll all be over soon. She's going to be happy so just deal with it." The sacrifice of manly dignity was all worth it as I actually like the stuff I got which is a rarity for me when I shop for clothes.

I'm planning a trip to North Carolina to be at Noah and Shari's wedding. The Pretty Girl's parents live there and I'll be meeting them for the first time. Yes I'm nervous as hell, but it'll be cool. Hopefully they won't hate my guts. If I ever have a daughter I pity the boy who comes to meet me.

"Shopping is a woman thing. It's a contact sport like football. Women enjoy the scrimmage, the noisy crowds, the danger of being trampled to death, and the ecstasy of the purchase." - Erma Bombeck

No comments: