Jan 30, 2006

Toys that are too expensive.

This weekend I traveled up to Bellingham for a visit with Andrew and the folks. Pretty tame trip, but one of the highlights was window shopping at the local Harley Davidson Store. Andrew invited me to go looking at motorcycles. The Pretty Girl and I arrived before Andrew did and I looked around at bikes that I can barely afford. Some were true gems. The store offered zero down with zero interest.

Oh the temptation. I could sit there and finally ride the Fatboy or RoadKing that I've been dreaming of in the summer months. I could take rides to the coast, mountains, etc and embrace the scenic beauty of our state from the back of a noisy hog. I would carry my camera in my saddle bags and shoot all sorts of gorgeous pics. Oh god I love the idea of owning an expensive Harley.

Andrew showed up and we looked around and we probably annoyed, or at least entertained, the Pretty Girl with our boyish grins and drooling all over the high priced chrome motorcycles. He really wanted me to get one, but I declined as I have other expenses in my life that I'm saving up for. As I walked away I kind of regret not blowing more money than I can afford at a luxury item that I've been wanting since I was 12, but I decided to be old and sensible. I don't know how I feel about that.

“And I to my motorcycle, parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed With power, and tore off up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever” - James Dickey

Harley-Davidson

1 comment:

Mattbear said...

I feel your pain, brother. A couple years ago, I was "this close" (holds fingers 1cm apart) to buying a Superglide. Had the financing approved and everything...but decided to be responsible. It was a painful decision.