Jun 15, 2009

Rebel Yell

"Wiwille right?" the bartender asked after I ordered my fourth round of drinks.

"Right," I replied. "Wait. Do I stand out that much?"

"Yeah," he said. "You do."

I guess being the only guy in the venue not wearing all black and no ink it makes sense that I stick out. I used to go places and feel under dressed a lot. Lately I've been feeling overdressed more often than not.

Let me backtrack a little. Okay a lot.

Friday night my play buddy and I decided to go see Showboat. After dinner we decided to get some milkshakes at the local 50s diner to kill time before the show. It was a warm evening and we sat outside sipping on our peanut butter shakes when the staff announced that a troupe was going to entertain us with musical numbers from Grease. The singers consisted of one adult leading a group of ten year olds who belted out the hits from the overrated musical. It was really cute seeing the children get into it, but there was something kind of creepy seeing kids sing 'Summer Nights' and such. Call me a prude.

Saturday night my concert buddy took me to see a show at El Corazone. Her current romantic interest is playing in one of the bands and I got to meet the gent. He's a very nice guy and easily got my seal of approval. Lets hope he follows my rules. His band played a really good set including an awesome cover of 'Rebel Yell' which really ignited the crowd.

My concert buddy is unemployed, so drinks were on me. After making many rounds to the bar and making small talk with the band she told me Powerman 5000 was playing. I had no idea they were still around. We go to the stage and to my surprise they put on an excellent show. Fueled by high energy and great charisma I started getting into it and jumped around like I was 19. I avoided the mosh pit though, cause that just felt too 1996. I was never a big fan of theirs, but their live show was so much better than their albums.

I sat down at a table after the show and some random guy decided to join me. Clutching his mid section he seemed in a bit of pain. When I asked him if he was okay he said he may have cracked a rib or two in the mosh pit. He said it was all right though as he used to be a bare knuckles boxer.

I told him he must've been really great to avoid any damage to the nose and had a serious lack of scars on his face and hands. He just looked at me.

I felt really jazzed after the show, but the night was coming to an end and I started to make my way to the car. My vehicle was parked in front of another bar and I weaved my way through the crowd of smokers outside. All of a sudden a girl took me by the hand, pulled me into her, and laid a huge kiss on me. I took a step back and looked at her. Dark hair in pigtails, blue eyes, and dressed in a plaid skirt was she. Wiwille like.

I had no idea who she was as I stared at her. Finally the look on her face made it obvious she was clueless as to my identity as well.

Girl: Oh my god I'm so sorry. I thought you were my boyfriend.
Me: Lucky him.
Girl: I'm sorry. Really I'm so sorry.
Me: You are forgiven.
Girl: Oh god I'm so sorry. You really look just like him.
Me: I'd give a thousand dollars if I were him right now.
Girl: Huh?
Me: Never mind. Have a good night.

I walked away as she gave me a slightly embarrassed, but mostly horrified look. Poor thing. It was kind of nice knowing that someone who looks like me could land someone that hot.

It was a good night.

After going home and singing to my friends (don't ask) it was time for bed. I finished my fast food and laid myself on my bed.

I thought of her, again.

"I can rock out anything. I mean, I can rock out a little 'Time After Time'. I can do a little 'Grease Lightning'. It depends on the mood, but we do go karaoke, my friends and I in Los Angeles, and it's a lot of fun." - Kristen Bell

4 comments:

JLee said...

I think it's creepy too when kids are into "Grease" When you think about it, it's pretty nasty and deals with abortion and all sorts of dark things!

That's pretty cool about pigtail girl. Too bad you couldn't just go with it and pretend to be the boyfriend. ha

Miss Ash said...

I like Grease...not 10 year olds singing the songs...but I like it.

As for the gal, it reminded me for some reason of George Castanza Ha!! Like something that would happen to him. At least you still got it!

wigsf said...

Why can't I meet dumb chicks who kiss random guys?

Unknown said...

My son (who turns 10 today) LOVES Grease. He has no idea what the innuendos mean. He's really into the car and the beat of the music. I think we over think things sometimes and miss out on the good aspect of something because we are too busy focusing on the bad. As for dealing with abortion-- I'm not sure which version of Grease you saw but the movie version doesn't mention it.

Wiwille-- you need to stop putting yourself down. You are not a bad looking guy. I'm sure you are aware of this because you swing more tail than most men I know. Get some self-esteem already.