Jul 14, 2010

Fighting the forces of old and evil.

Last night I met with the male members of Kelly's family at a place called TopGolf. Now loyal readers will already know that Tiger Woods I am not, but this was a variation on the sport. TopGolf has a huge driving range with large holed targets out on the grass. The balls have a chip in them and when you hit one into the designated target it would award you points.

We all had a great time playing and chatting while consuming multiple pints. Golf is a game this family really enjoys and I hope to actually get better at it to keep up.

Then it hit me.

I turned to Kelly's brother Russ and asked him if he ever read Hunter S. Thompson. He said he wasn't much of a reader. No matter. I informed him about the game shotgun golf, the brain child of one of my favorite authors. He looked at me quizzically and asked what was the basis behind the game. I told him the basics.

Me: There's a golfer and a shooter. The golfer drives the ball while the shooter tries to take the ball out with a shotgun.
Russ: That sounds awesome.
Me: I really want to try it.

Russ informed me that his dad's friend owns land that may accommodate my golfing/shooting needs. Since his family likes firearms (this is Texas) and golf it seems like we could start a new tradition. This must be done. I will honor the ashes of the godfather of all things Gonzo, because no sport is really athletic without the smell of gunsmoke.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

3 comments:

Mattbear said...

Make sure Kelly gets a life insurance policy on you before you try this.

wigsf said...

screw golf
skeeball is where it's at

Miss Ash said...

This is why I will never understand men.....