Jul 21, 2009

Pork chops and applesauce

Drew Carey got up to the mic and started gearing up the crowd. The marching band was blaring songs that filled Pioneer Square. The people were chanting and clapping and making merry. It was time to march down the streets to Qwest field.

I was overwhelmed with the sights and sounds of Seattle's soccer fans. As we headed down towards the stadium the crowd was still chanting and yelling and making sure everyone within a mile radius understood that they were excited about seeing their team play. The colors of the jerseys and the sheer joy made for a spectacle that I reveled in. I have yet to see anything like it in any professional sport.

I've never been a big fan of watching soccer although I do like playing the sport. I was skeptical about my experience wondering if it was something I would enjoy, but happily I had a great time. The stadium was brimming with excitement as the crowd chanted throughout the match and hit their noise makers. Even though the Sounders lost, which was expected, everyone seemed to have a great time. I'd actually go again.

Sadly there was no hooligan activity.

That night I went to Matt and Jen's for a party for Andrea and Justin. It was a fun get together as we all drank and warmly greeted the couple as they've been gone for quite some time. The shin dig took place outside and I brought a camp chair, but mostly left it unoccupied as I was mingling. I went back to get my chair as the party congregated back towards the house, but found four kids holding each end of it while they carried it.

I asked the children what they were doing and they said they're filling the chair with apples and pouring water on them. When asked why they thought this was a good idea they replied they need to make applesauce.

Of course.

The kids sensed my dismay at using my chair to create food, so they dumped the apples in another and said I could now use it to sit. Not wanting my ass to smell like wet apple I politley declined and contemplated lecturing their parents on how Planned Parenthood is a marvelous organization.

Parties with loads of kids is great birth control.

"The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain

3 comments:

Claire said...

Applesauce? Love it.

Cxx

Unknown said...

Being trapped in the car with my 10 y.o. for a thousand miles, then in a room for two weeks and back in the car for another thousand miles made me realize if my biological clock ticks again, I'm gonna rip it out and crush it with my foot.

I want to see that film now.

elizab said...

Hah, they told me the same thing as to why they were strategically placing apples on the driveway for arriving cars to run over. Incidentally, I can think of many odors far worse than wet apple for your ass to smell like!