Oct 14, 2009

The Force was with me

As we were making our way to Key Arena the conversation was going well as we discussed how ridiculous Seattle drivers can be.

"IT'S A TRAP," came blaring over my cell phone. We both fell silent as she pondered Admiral Ackbar's frightened announcement to the Rebel fleet. Of course that's set as my text message alert. Finally we both laughed as we tallied up our 'dork points'. I was in the lead. Being a winner and a loser I thought it best to switch my phone to vibrate.

After taking pictures of the various exhibits we both take our seats on the floor awaiting the symphony to strike up the music. We noticed the high production values already as the stage was set. Then the music started with Fox's opening theme. The curtain fell and exposed the musicians who then broke out the Star Wars main theme. The crowd erupted into applause, hooting and hollering as the large HD screen projected a montage sequence of all six films.

Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) was introduced by a voice over by James Earl Jones himself imitating the character that made his voice famous. Daniels took the stage giving a short narration of the story before each sequence. They conductor would raise his baton and we sat and watched a story of the Star Wars universe. We laughed when appropriate, groaned when Leia kissed Luke, got mad when Greedo shot first, and cheered whenever Darth Vader took the screen.

At intermission I asked my friend what she thought. Her face said it all. Excited as I was about how this exceeded our expectations she couldn't control the seven year old inside of her. Even though she was one year old when Return of the Jedi was released she was amazed by the music as well as the visuals.

"Hmm," she said shortly before the symphony took the stage again. "Now we get to the real trilogy." She rules.

"But," I countered. "Maybe they'll show the Clone Wars, or the Star Wars Holiday Special."

"The Star Wars Holiday Special? I've never seen it."

"Do yourself a favor and don't. I'm sorry I even brought it up."

"I want to see The Ewok Adventures." Oh my she remembers those Ewok television specials from back in the day. I told her my sister and I used to watch them constantly when we were little as our parents recorded them for us. Years later I ended up buying them on DVD for her so she and my nephews could enjoy them. Yeah my friend likes the cuddly Wicket. No fan is perfect.

Anthony Daniels came on stage again and introduced the next segment. After another round of songs the show sadly ended and all took a bow to a packed house that was on their feet. A guy in the audience was dressed in Jedi robes with cloth decorated with the American flag. He got some time on the large screen to the amusement of the audience. After exiting the stage Daniels came back and announced an encore. The symphony broke out the Imperial March to an amused and excited crowd.

As we left the arena I pondered what it was I enjoyed about the show so much. Granted it was a quality show that even people who never were a fan of Star Wars would agree, but there was something different. Finally it hit me and I turned to my friend as we strolled through the rain.

"It did what three prequels failed to do. It made me feel like I was eight years old again."

"I thought Star Wars was too wacky for the general public." - George Lucas

2 comments:

Claire said...

That. Sounds. Amazing.

Cxx

wigsf said...

greatest film music ever composed???
NO WAY!