Nov 3, 2005

Good Night and Good Luck

The pretty girl took me to see "Good Night and Good Luck" last night. It was a good movie; however dull in some parts. There's really not a sense of urgency in the script, nor did I get the sense that Murrow or CBS News were in any real danger by taking on McCarthy. After a while it became a preachy fest of "you all suck for watching bad television." I thought that was kind of cool really, but I know most of the audience will shrug their shoulders and continue to watch Survivor, Full House, etc.

Most of the characters were not that developed and became uninteresting as all hell, but the rest of the details were so well done I would recommend it. I kind of wish I knew nothing about the McCarthy hearings before hand so there would actually be some dramatic tension.

Given the movie's faults it's receiving very high critical praise. After viewing it I believe it's one of those that gets awarded for subject matter and not for content, at least in screenwriting. Like I said before there are many other elements that are great which made it worth my time.

"McCarthyism is Americanism with its sleeves rolled." - Joseph R. McCarthy

No comments: