Nov 18, 2005

Six degrees of Tonya Harding.

I came from a small town and never had many encounters with celebrities. Except for the time I threw myself on top of Amy Lee's limo and tried to enter it through the sunroof my exposure to famous people is limited. I am; however, two degrees from our favorite white trash figure skater turned boxer.

I grew up not to far from where she used to skate. Years after the infamous Nancy Kerrigan debacle BS called and told me he had a funny story for me. Tonya Harding was (is?) dating Darren Silver, a guy I knew from high school. Craig S, who is quite possibly the funniest man alive, was hanging out with Darren and Tonya one night and Tonya was was upset about her truck being stolen. Never to be one to shy away from stating the inappropriate, Craig S advised her to use 'The Club', cause he heard it was really effective. Tonya reportedly did not appreciate the comment and responded angrily.

'He he,' I thought. It's a good story, but I doubted it's validity. I couldn't believe Tonya was dating someone from the small town I grew up in, plus the story seemed a little staged.

Months later I was watching the news and they reported that she was arrested for a domestic dispute where she beat up her boyfriend with a hubcap. I see the video of a bruised up man and sure enough it was Darren Silver. I called Craig S immediately and asked him if he ever met her and sure enough he told me the story. His friend, who was present at the time of his humorous club comment, confirmed the story.

Small world really. I wonder what possesses someone to get involved with her. He must be a masochist of the highest order. How do you introduce her to your friends and family?

"This is my girlfriend Tonya. You may recognize her from such classics as a x rated wedding video which was widely distributed. She also hired someone to take a weapon and crush the knee of a fellow skater. She now boxes. Happy Thanksgiving."

"One thing I like about boxing is that I will not have to deal with the same kind of politics that I had to in skating. In boxing, it is not about your appearance, or how your costume looks, what color it is, or how much it costs." - Tonya Harding

Harding sentenced to three days in jail for attack on boyfriend

No comments: