Dec 7, 2010

Let he without sin...

Today the Texas Supreme Court is hearing arguments concerning if the process of the death penalty violates the constitution. Given that it's in such a largely Republican state this is unusual, but it may not have the effect some may be looking for. It probably will not abolish the practice, but it may change the process to help eliminate the possibility of putting an innocent person to death, if that's even probable.

I'm against the death penalty, which puts me in the minority considering I reside in a state that seems to revel in it. Texas has given the ultimate solution to the most people, and has exonerated the least. The republic has even given a mentally disabled person the right to a last meal.

While I don't believe it's moral to kill a person against their will, I do understand the thought. If I were face to face with Bin Laden and happen to be holding a firearm I'd at least consider it. Still I hope that citizens of Texas review the facts about the death penalty before they let their emotions dictate how justice should be served and seriously meditate on why we allow a culture of death in our judiciary.

"For centuries the death penalty, often accompanied by barbarous refinements, has been trying to hold crime in check; yet crime persists. Why? Because the instincts that are warring in man are not, as the law claims, constant forces in a state of equilibrium." - Albert Camus

Texas judge to review death-penalty law in hearing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks.

Miss Ash said...

I don't believe in the death penalty either! I mean can you even imagine if all of those people had been hanged/injected/electrocuted who were found innocent after DNA testing came along.....

Umm hello Guy Paul Morin (convicted of 1st degree murder and ohhh he didn't do it!) He was sentenced to life not the death penalty but still!