Dec 22, 2010

The worst...

I hear this has been a good year in film, but I have yet to see it for myself. I've seen a lot of movies in 2010, but few that I would classify as good. This is my own fault, because I didn't rush out to see 'The Social Network' or 'Inception' and have still yet to see either. Sad really as I understand both are fine cinema. The best movie I've seen all year is 'Toy Story 3'. Granted Pixar never disappoints, but I was surprised at how compelling the last entry in this trilogy was. Another notable film was 'Easy A', one I expected wouldn't be good at all, but I ended up enjoying it immensely.

So instead of making a best and worst list this year I sadly will just point out the biggest flops and disappointments I had the displeasure of witnessing:

1. Valentine's Day - It tried to be 'Love Actually', but fell far short with awful writing and unbelievable story lines.

2. Date Night - It wasn't terrible, but with talent like this one should rightly expect more. I guess the producers thought the premise alone would get people to see this and they were right. Sadly they made little effort into making this fun. A romantic comedy that's neither romantic nor comedic, when the gag reel is more entertaining than the script you know it has problems.

3. Iron Man 2 - Not awful, but not even as enjoyable as the previous overrated film.

4. The Bounty Hunter - A silly, implausible story that lacks the charm needed in movies of this nature. Jennifer Aniston plays Jennifer Aniston. Enough said.

5. Clash of the Titans - No one expected this to be good, but what I didn't fathom is how little entertainment value this would actually have. The film it's based on is not exactly high brow, but even with such low expectations I was shocked how much I disliked it.

6. Alice in Wonderland - At times I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton, but this dreck reminded me of another one of his films I hated with almost equal contempt, 'Planet of the Apes'. While visually entertaining there's no story here. Besides a crowd pleasing genocidal Queen of Hearts there's no reason to sit through this. Truly a tale that tries to be for adults as well as children, but satisfies neither.

"It's just hard to know why Mr. Burton, who doesn't seem much interested in Alice, bothered." - Manohla Dargis

2 comments:

Mattbear said...

I can't believe you haven't seen Inception. That movie was awesome. Get with the program!

We (unsurprising) disagree on a number of these, and there were a couple I haven't seen yet. But seriously, Toy Story 3? That sucked. Hard.

Clash of the Titans was awful. I get pissed off now every time Sam Worthington gets a role. He has to be one of the shittiest, overrated actors out there right now.

Miss Ash said...

I did want to see Valentines Day but perhaps I'll have to pass. I would have watched Alice in Wonderland over and over again just for the Queen, she was fucking hilarious!