Nov 1, 2009

Aetas

"It's a retarded idea that was invented by a drunk man while sleeping with french whores."

My friend's assessment of Daylight Savings Time is the most accurate I've heard to date. I've asked many why this seemed necessary and most gave very good answers, but still it made little sense to me. I never complained too much about it as it only affected me twice a year, but it still served as an inconvenience.

Today was no different. I set my alarm on my phone to 5am as usual to get up for work. The service carrier sets the clocks forward and backward as needed. The alarm went off as usual, but at 5:01 am the clock turned back an hour automatically unbeknownst to me.

I stroll into work to find my Grizzly Adams looking coworker having a smoke outside. He asked me what time it was. When I told him he disagreed. Strange I thought.

I sit in my cube and log on to my computer. Sure enough I was wrong in my assessment of the correct time. I look at my phone and it's an hour back. Sigh. I'm at work an hour early. Oh well. I had emails to read (delete) so I made use of my time.

A few minutes go by and my alarm goes off again. I hate DST.

"I don't mind going back to daylight saving time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I've saved all year." - Victor Borge

5 comments:

Claire said...

It's so dark!

Cxx

Unknown said...

If you were a farmer, you'd appreciate DST. But, you are not... so, you will complain.

wigsf said...

Whore-banging alcoholics invented all the best stuff.

Benjamin Franklin was drunk and getting a hummer while he stood outside waiting flying a kite waiting for some lightning.

Marconi, ho boy, did he ever like the hookers. He got plasted on cianti, hit the local whorehouses then invented the radio.

And don't get me started on Edison.

Miss Ash said...

Ha! I've always wondered if anyone ever did that....like showed up to work late/eary during DST. Nice job sir, next year go in late and be like What?

JLee said...

I only like it when I get the extra hour. ha
It was nice to wake up to sunshine this morning instead of pitch dark.