Aug 10, 2005

Outsourced

As you are probably aware my job has been "outsourced". 72 employees have been laid off and effective immediatley all phone volume will be handled by offshore sites.

This came as no surprise to me. It was bound to happen at some point. Actually it may work out for the best. My job search has been accelerated and the company is providing a pretty decent severance package.

The trend in outsourcing concerns me on a consumer level, but alas that doesn't matter. We all understand that corporations are not subject to the customer or employees, but to the shareholder. If I need help with something I will have to break through all language barriers to speak with someone in Bangalore. I have no choice. Come to think of it I'll just have the Jiggaman fix it or break down and fix it myself.

It's only been a few days of not working and already I'm incredibly bored, hence the creation of this blog. I feel so unproductive. I haven't been without work for any extended period of time since I was 15 years old. I'm trying to get out as much as possible, but I'm afraid cabin fever will slowly creep in. If any of you find me on top of the roof wearing nothing but tighty whiteys and sandles holding a double barrel shotgun with a bottle of Wild Turkey, please call the cops, paramedics, etc.

Wish me luck in my job quest.

"If you rely too much on people in other companies and countries ... you are outsourcing your brains, where you are making all the innovation." - Bill Gates

Foamy's tech support woes

No comments: