Aug 23, 2005

Pat Robertson wants to kill people.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez."We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

I never saw the actual broadcast, but I can hardly see a way these words can be taken out of context. Pat Robertson, one of the most powerful preachers in the world, seems to take a hardline stance with the politics of South America.

I'm not saying Hugo Chavez is a benevolent leader; however statements like Robertson's makes me cringe. The Christian Coalation has never been free of controversy, but you would think an educated man who knew his scriptures would use better judgment then making statements like this. This is where of course I would quote the "Thou shalt not kill" line.

What would Jesus do Pat (Damn that's getting really cliche)? Would he want us to outright assassinate a leader because of the possibility he may create a Muslim Communist uptopia? Should we just burn him at the stake and make him an example to all that may or may not agree with Hugo?

I doubt his words stemmed from a real spiritual enlightenment, but rather it does embody our culture of fear. People in powerful positions can be just as weak as any one of us and are willing to go to some desperate lengths to protect ourselves. I can somewhat understand this. It's not like I've been marching against the freedoms that were trounced upon in the Patriot Act. Then again I'm not a man who's taking the responsibility of shepherding Christ's flock.

A lot of you are probably already thinking, "Erik you dumb fat bastard. God uses men to create violent acts throughout the Bible. What are you harping on Pat about?" I'm not going to defend the Old Testament here, but as someone raised with a Christian background I do implore any religious leaders, regardless of faith or even dogma, to employ more rational thought before making public statements such as this. If not for God or yourself do it for your followers.

Maybe Pat was throwing out alternatives to war which in some dark twisted idea makes sense. I really have no idea what he was thinking really and find myself pretty arrogant trying to dissect the man's teachings even though I never watch his show. You've probably noticed that most of my opinions aren't really based on all that much logic though.

If you're a religious person at least pray for him.

"Many of those people involved with Adolph Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals..the two things seem to go together." - Pat Robertson

Robertson Calls for Chavez's Assassination

Follow up: Pat decrees that his remarks were taken out of context. If it's true that would mean that Fox News was actually wrong. I would have never guessed. Robertson: Chavez remarks misinterpreted

Another follow up: Robertson finally apologizes for the statement being clearly not taken out of context. This is getting weird. Robertson Apologizes for Chavez Remark

No comments: