Dec 19, 2005

We've been lied to.

A lot of women I know are self concious about their looks. Most of them are really pretty girls, at least in my opinion; however some do spend a lot of time dreaming of acheiving that magazine cover look. I find it sad really, cause those images are so unrealistic. They're all retouched to obscene levels.

Don't believe me? Take a look at this website. It shows how much is altered to try and make a woman look like what society deems as perfect beauty. While the subjects are good looking in their own right the artist still feels the need to enlarge breats, tighten up the stomachs, etc. I'm actually kind of surprised at the length they go to retouch a photo. It's depressing that these people fill a demand, but I guess if the public keep buying magazines like Glamour they will continue to find work.

Now I do admit I have at times read Playboy so I am kind of a hypocrite, but I do understand that those images will not appear before me in real life and in fact I don't care if they do. The imperfections of a woman are just as adorable as the perfections.

"Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness. What ails us is that our sense of beauty is so bruised and blunted, we miss all the best." - D. H. Lawrence

2 comments:

Mattbear said...

Damn, man, you just went on a blogging spree here. :)
I'm glad you had a good time at the partay, and I hope your girl did too.

I hear what you're saying here about the women and their obsession over imperfections. It's downright painful to witness sometimes. On the other hand, without that, even more of them might use their beauty as a weapon even more than they do now.

One night at a bar with Donna, she was getting hit on by this Creepy Old Dude (tm) who just wouldn't shut up or leave her alone. After I saved her with the excuse of having to go talk to some friends, she was lamenting how men her age never hit on her...it's always the Creepy Old Dudes (tm). I told her that's because her beauty is intimidating to men, but the old men are impervious because they expect rejection anyway. She wouldn't believe me. I tried to explain that I had not yet met a straight man who knew her and didn't marvel at how gorgeous she was. She was still unbelieving, even after I got some back-up from the friends I was talking to.

If she gets hung-up on it...I don't think there's any hope for the gender at large.

Mattbear said...

Side note..Waiterrant.net has a post about this very same topic... http://waiterrant.net/?p=245