Mar 3, 2006

Did we do this to ourselves?

I remember back in the early nineties columnists were praising the idea that the world was becoming more and more democratic citing events as the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of Soviet communism. They ignored the Tieneman Square massacre and other tumultuous events regarding the political landscape, but the world body politic seemed to be more optimistic then.

Or maybe I just choose to remember the good news. In a world that is now increasingly fundamentalist I can understand why people to the past as "the good old days".

I'm now officially old. I might as well have a cane and gamble at a slot machines while making inappropriate remarks to young waitresses while they smile and call me cute.

"There's one more terrifying fact about old people: I'm going to be one soon." - P.J. O'Rourke

No comments: